in

13-Year-Old Boy Risked His Life To Save His Paralyzed Father From A House Fire

A 13-year-old boy from Oklahoma dies after he tried to rescue his paralyzed father after their house got caught up in a fire.

The fire broke out at around one in the morning at their mobile home on Renick Road, says County Sheriff Marty Grisham.

Two children aged 13 and 16 were staying at home with their 60-year-old paralyzed father when the fire broke out.

According to the reports, the daughter and the son were both sleeping in the living room when the 16-year-old girl woke up, only to see that their room was on fire.

She then ran across the street to ask for help, while her brother tried his best to get their paralyzed father to his wheelchair. However, they were still overcome by smoke. When the firefighters took out the fire, it was already too late.

“Upon arrival, the deputies found the house engulfed in flames,” Grisham said.

“(They) attempted to enter the house, couldn’t make it through the front due to the fire and couldn’t make it to the back also due to fire and debris.”

The paralyzed father was identified as James Cummins while the 13-year-old hero was named Thomas JayVance Cummins.

According to the reports, the father had been paralyzed after an accident that happened years back. Further reports stated that when the fire broke out, the mother was at the store.

“This family is just sleeping and the son is doing what he can to protect and save his dad,” Grisham said. “It’s a very sad story.”

Investigators then stated that the multiple space heaters were in the home to keep it warm. But still, the cause of the fire has yet to be determined, but the authorities believe that the heaters have something to do with the fire.

“The blaze appeared to have originated in the living room area, however, due to the amount of damage, I was unable to determine whether the cause was electrical or the space heaters,” Oklahoma Fire Marshall investigator Judah Shepard told the Daily Ardmorette.

“The on-scene investigation ruled the fire was accidental.”

After the incident, a GoFundMe account has been set up, garnering a $10,000 to help the family with the funeral expenses.

Source: DailyMail

Share It To Your Friends!

Share to Facebook